Sputnik V demonstrates 94.3% efficacy and a high safety profile in Bahrain
Moscow, June 10, 2021 – The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF, Russia’s sovereign wealth fund) announces new data from Bahrain’s Ministry of Health, obtained during the Kingdom’s national vaccination campaign, confirming the safety and high efficacy of the Russian Sputnik V Covid-19 vaccine.
An efficacy study was conducted in Bahrain in accordance with WHO guidelines involving more than 5,000 subjects. Overall efficacy beyond 14 days after administering a second dose was estimated at 94.3%. Analysis is based on data collected between February and early May 2021.
The data of the Ministry of Health confirmed that, of those vaccinated with Sputnik V and infected 14 days after their second vaccine dose, 98.6% experienced mild symptoms.
Vaccination data indicates high safety of Sputnik V:
• No serious adverse events associated with vaccination;
• No deaths related to the vaccination;
• No cerebral vein thrombosis (CVT) cases after vaccination.
Kirill Dmitriev, CEO of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), said:
“Sputnik V has demonstrated efficacy of 94.3% and high safety confirming the data collected in a number of other countries where it is used to protect the population against coronavirus. The Russian vaccine is an important part of Bahrain’s diversified national portfolio. Use of Sputnik V is making a significant contribution in mitigating the spread of coronavirus, resuming normal life and economic activity.”
Sputnik V has a number of key advantages:
• Efficacy of Sputnik V is 97.6% based on the analysis of data on the coronavirus infection rate among those in Russia vaccinated with both components of Sputnik V from December 5, 2020 to March 31, 2021;
• The Sputnik V vaccine is based on a proven and well-studied platform of human adenoviral vectors, which cause the common cold and have been around for thousands of years.
• Sputnik V uses two different vectors for the two shots in a course of vaccination, providing immunity with a longer duration than vaccines using the same delivery mechanism for both shots.
• The safety, efficacy and lack of negative long-term effects of adenoviral vaccines have been proven by more than 250 clinical studies over two decades.
• There are no strong allergies caused by Sputnik V.
• The storage temperature of Sputnik V at +2+8 C means it can be stored in a conventional refrigerator without any need to invest in additional cold-chain infrastructure.
• The price of Sputnik V is less than $10 per shot, making it affordable around the world.
HE Faeqa Saeed Al-Saleh, Bahrain’s Minister of Health, said:
“Our data has confirmed the high efficacy and safety of Sputnik V during its use in Bahrain. This vaccine is one of a number of approved vaccines made available free to charge to citizens and residents in the Kingdom. Sputnik V continues to play an important role in the Kingdom’s ongoing and successful vaccination campaign, with 81% of the eligible population vaccinated so far.”
- 22 Jun 2022 Dr Al Manea highlights the importance of following COVID-19 precautionary measures
- 16 Jun 2022 The National Medical Taskforce calls on eligible individuals to receive a COVID-19 booster shot
- 19 May 2022 The National Medical Taskforce approves optional second COVID-19 booster shot for the 12-17 age group: 19 May 2022
- 19 May 2022 Dr Manaf Al Qahtani highlights the importance of the COVID-19 vaccination for those aged 3 - 11