The National Medical Taskforce approves optional second COVID-19 booster shot for the 12-17 age group: 19 May 2022
Based on the latest epidemiological data and following approval by the Government Executive Committee, the National Medical Taskforce for Combatting the Coronavirus (COVID-19) today announced that starting from Friday, 20 May 2022, individuals aged 12-17 years old may take an optional COVID-19 booster shot periodically, every 9 months from the date of their last booster shot.
The Taskforce noted that individuals between the ages of 12 and 17 may take the optional second booster dose as follows:
- The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine as a second booster shot, or a second dose of the same vaccine as the first booster shot.
- Recovered individuals can take the second optional booster shot six months after the date of infection, and nine months following the first booster shot.
The Taskforce stated that the green shield in the BeAware Bahrain application will not change to yellow if eligible individuals do not opt for a second or future additional booster shot.
The Taskforce concluded by emphasising the importance of receiving booster shots in a timely manner in order to preserve public health.
- 22 Jun 2022 Dr Al Manea highlights the importance of following COVID-19 precautionary measures
- 16 Jun 2022 The National Medical Taskforce calls on eligible individuals to receive a COVID-19 booster shot
- 19 May 2022 Dr Manaf Al Qahtani highlights the importance of the COVID-19 vaccination for those aged 3 - 11
- 18 May 2022 Dr Manaf Al Qahtani highlights the importance of the COVID-19 vaccination for those aged 3 - 11